This is a healthier, alcohol-free eggnog – the perfect protein-rich Christmas drink! But, if you want to add a nip, go for 1-2 tbs brandy or dark rum.
Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Nut-free, Vegetarian
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 800 ml milk (use almond milk or your preferred other milk for dairy-free)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cornflour (gluten-free if needed)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons raw cacoa or cocoa powder
- 2 quality white marshmallows, cut in half (optional)
- Chocolate icing pen, to decorate (optional – gluten-free if needed)
- Small carrot triangles, to decorate (optional)
- Place egg yolks, eggs and honey into a saucepan and whisk until combined.Add milk and vanilla. Cook over low-medium heat (below boiling point) for 10 minutes, stirring continuously, taking care not to bring to boil.
- Sift in the cornflour, cinnamon and cacao, whisk to combine. Cook for a further 10 minutes (below boiling point), stirring continuously, until lightly thickened and velvety.
- For a frothy consistency, allow eggnog mixture to cool slightly and strain through a sieve into a food processor or blender (or you can use a stick blender in the saucepan). Blend for 30 seconds on medium-high speed or until frothy. Pour into serving glasses. Alternatively, mixture can be strained through a sieve directly from saucepan into serving glasses.
- For marshmallow snowmen, cut each marshmallow in half. Use chocolate icing pen to draw eyes and a mouth onto the cut side. Use a thinly-sliced piece of carrot triangle for a nose. Place one marshmallow snowman into each mug. Serve warm.
Place egg yolks, eggs and honey into mixing bowl and mix 10 sec/speed 5. Insert butterfly whisk. Add almond milk, milk and vanilla and cook 10 min/70°C/speed 2. Add cornflour, cinnamon and cacao into mixing bowl and cook 14 min/70°C/speed 2, until slightly thickened, then blend 20 sec/speed 4 or until frothy. Remove butterfly whisk. Strain eggnog through fine-mesh sieve into serving glasses. Top with marshmallow snowmen as per method above.