A delicious healthy meal from our Co-Founder and Nutrition Director, Louise Keats.
This is a quick delicious pasta loaded with goodness. Cashews are now being recognised as a great gut-supporting food thanks to their resistant starch – a prebiotic that helps feed the good guys in your gut.
The avocado adds some green raw goodness to this mousse, with a boost of fibre, healthy fats, potassium, folate and vitamins C, E and K.
I’ve included Thermomix instructions for those of you who have a Thermomix.
Vegetarian, see also Vegan and Dairy-Free option
- 150g dry roasted cashews (see Tips)
- 30g parmesan (see Tips for dairy-free/vegan option), plus extra to serve
- 180g avocado flesh
- Finely grated zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 50g fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 cup (4 tbs) extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup (4 tbs) filtered water
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 cup cooked peas
- 4 servings organic spelt pasta, cooked to packet instructions (see Tips)
- Watercress, to serve (optional)
- Roughly chop 50g of the cashews and set aside.
- Place remaining 100g cashews and parmesan into a food processor and process to a ground consistency (Thermomix: 5 sec/speed 8).
- Add avocado, lemon juice, lemon zest, basil, olive oil, water and garlic and process until creamy and smooth (Thermomix: 20 sec/speed 5, scrape down sides and process a further 20 sec/speed 9) . Adds peas and process until peas are just crushed (Thermomix: 2 sec/speed 5).
- Season generously with sea salt and pepper.
- Toss sauce through hot pasta and sprinkle with the toasted cashews and extra parmesan, shaved. Serve topped with watercress (optional).
- For vegan option, omit the parmesan and replace with 1 ½ tbs nutritional yeast flakes.
- I also prefer to use spelt rather than traditional wheat pasta. Spelt is an ancient grain that many people find easier to digest. I also prefer to use organic pasta, to avoid any pesticide residues (eg, glyphosate) found on conventional products.
- If you prefer, you can switch the spelt pasta with a gluten-free option such as chickpea or black bean pasta.