A delicious healthy dinner from our Co-Founder and Nutrition Director, Louise Keats.
A quick and simple mid-week dinner, this is something I know I can make without a fuss that everyone in my house loves.
I always prefer chicken thigh over breast because it has twice the iron and zinc.
Black rice is a rich source of anthocyanins (the same plant compounds that give blueberries their colour) – a type of antioxidant that are of increasing research interest for their potential role in improving cardiovascular and neurological health.
Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Nut-free
- 400g mixed mushrooms (shitake, Swiss Brown, Shimeji)
- 600g chicken thigh fillets, cut in half
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 3 spring onions, cut into 6cm lengths
- 2 cups (250g) cooked black rice
- 1 bunch broccolini, trimmed, steamed
- Toasted sesame seeds, to serve
Miso maple sauce
- 1 tbs sesame oil
- 3 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tbs soy sauce or tamari (use gluten-free if needed)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 3 tsp white miso paste
- Combine sesame oil, maple, soy, garlic and miso in a small bowl. Whisk until smooth.
- Place mushrooms in a large bowl, add half the miso mixture. Toss to combine. In a separate bowl, add chicken and remaining miso mixture. Toss to coat.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add half the olive oil and the chicken, cook 2-3 minutes each side or until golden, sticky and cooked through. Transfer to a plate. Keep warm.
- Add remaining olive oil and mushrooms. Cook, tossing 3-4 minutes or until golden and tender. Add spring onions and cook 1-2 minutes until tender.
- Divide rice between serving bowls. Top with chicken and mushrooms, spring onions and broccolini. Scatter with sesame seeds to serve.