This delicious Spanish chicken rice dish is perfect for all family members. Chicken drumsticks and thigh fillets have twice the iron and zinc of the white meat, so they’re perfect for anyone lacking in these nutrients.
Dairy free | Egg free | Gluten free | Nut free
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 chicken drumsticks
- 4 chicken thigh cutlets (skin on)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup medium-grain rice
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 × 400 g tin cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 6 sprigs fresh oregano, plus extra to garnish
- 120 g large green olives
- Heat the oil in a medium-large casserole dish and cook the chicken, turning, until golden all over. Remove the chicken and cook the onion and garlic for about 5 minutes until softened and just starting to colour. Add the rice and paprika and cook, stirring, until the grains are coated with oil. Add the tomatoes and stock, stirring gently.
- Return the chicken pieces to the pan, pushing them gently down into rice. Scatter over the olives. Simmer, covered (with foil or a lid), for about 25 minutes until the chicken and rice are tender. Leave to stand for 5-10 minutes to allow the remaining liquid to absorb.
- Serve garnished with extra oregano leaves (if liked).