We sat down with Vive Trainer Molly to ask about all things pilates, how she stays motivated and of course her favourite workout tracks.
What can someone expect from your style of classes?
I come from a strength and conditioning background, so I love adding sections of strength and HIIT throughout my classes. It’s super important to make “scary” or intimidating moves, like snatches and weighted burpees, achievable for everyone, so you can expect to walk away with the knowledge of how to confidently do these moves.
What made you want to get into the field of reformer pilates & teaching?
I was a features editor and beauty journalist before I switched to teaching full-time. One day, while writing about yet another life-changing beauty product that readers just HAD to have, I realised that it didn’t feel right to sell products anymore, it meant more to me to teach people ways to feel strong, confident, and take control of their own health. Pilates classes were also very expensive (the group class model hadn’t taken off yet), so I crunched some numbers and came to the conclusion it would be cheaper to get qualified than pay for classes till I’m 80.
What does a typical Saturday look like for you?
- Roll out of bed, shocked at the bed head staring back in the mirror.
- Give Penny the Dog and my husband (mostly Penny) good morning kisses, then realise that I’m running late.
- Eat a nutritional breakfast of whatever leftovers are from the night before and coffee… lots of coffee.
- Teach the LEGENDS at the Double Bay studio from 7.30am-12.30pm
- Take the dog on a walk and enjoy some wines at the dog park with friends and family
Your top tips on staying motivated?
I’m about to sound like a self-help book, but – motivation wanes, but habits are forever. Start small and be kind to yourself, you’ll build healthy habits slowly over time. Give yourself some grace, but commit to little goals every week, when you achieve them give yourself a high-five. If you’re struggling to find motivation, strip it back to finding your Why. There are heaps of podcasts and articles about finding your Why, these will help you light the match that ignites your fire.
- Coffee order? Strong long black, like triple shot strong.
- Holiday destination? The mountains in Colorado. I’m going to Bali for the first time next month though, so stay tuned.
- Song to workout to? Hip-Hop. Nothing is more satisfying or motivating than a heavy Leg or Back day to some dirty tracks.
- Favourite time to workout? The afternoon. I work every morning/evening so 2pm workouts are a perfect way to break up the day and get excited to teach evening classes.